The Prayer Rug

The lady who prayed beside me yesterday during Taraweeh laid down her gorgeous poppy-red prayer rug. I had never seen anything so vibrant in my life. I turned to her and remarked how gorgeous the colour is (of course, using the term “MashaAllah!” in there!). She told me the story of how her father gave it to her on her wedding day, and how she has passed her own childhood prayer rugs down to her daughters, who were praying beside her. I commented that she must feel incredibly happy every time she prays as the colour of her rug is so vibrant. She smiled and agreed.

I then looked down at my own prayer rug, and it could’t have been more on the opposite side of the spectrum. Brown and beige are the two dominant colours, two colours that I refuse to wear with clothing and two colours that I am not a fan of. Ironically enough, the rug bares the logo for the Islamic School and my mom randomly brought it for me when she met me at Taraweeh on the first night. Ironic indeed and I have no idea how it got into my parents’ house. Perhaps it was a gift? Anyway, I realized that praying on my brown-beige prayer rug did not bring me great joy the way the lady’s gorgeously vibrant prayer rug did for her. And I further reflected on the fact that I’ve never bought my own prayer rug...one had always been given to me by my mom. And that was OK, but I thought that it was time that I invested in a prayer rug that I couldn’t wait to pray on; one that was vibrant and more “me”. After all, Muslims are encouraged to wear their best clothes when they pray with others, and so why does the same not hold true for praying on a rug that brings you joy and contentment.

And so once I came home from Taraweeh, I did a quick search for prayer rugs online and was dismayed by the selection. Turkish rugs are by far the most gorgeous and vibrant, but the majority of sites were selling the typical muted colour rugs. I found one website, www.mymodefa.com, that sold a greater variety of vibrant prayer rugs. One rug in particular caught my eye and I knew it was “the one”. It was me. And I had to be myself when praying to Allah, I had to be grounded.

To some who are reading this, purchasing a prayer rug doesn’t seem important, as long as one prays. But I argue the opposite. The same could be said about Ramadan and Eid...that it’s solely about fasting and increasing our worship to Allah. But you can’t actively participate in such practices and feel joyous about it if your surroundings remain mundane and typical. This is the reason why parents make all the efforts to engage their kids in Ramadan using countdown calendars, house decorations, Ramadan crafts and books, and eventually decorate their house for the celebration of Eid. It’s why newly married couples start creating their own Ramadan customs which will one day be shared with their future children. The environment we live in, to some degree I think, impacts how we partake in Ramadan. If my apartment is disorganized and dirty, how does that feed into my spirit during Ramadan? If I pray in clothes that are uncomfortable and not true to myself, how does that impact my prayer? We are supposed to look and feel our best when we submit to Allah during prayer. After all, we are standing in front of our creator.

And so, with my new prayer rug in the mail and a few days away, I am anticipating its arrival and I can’t wait to pray on it. It’s funny that the older I get, the more I need to ensure that my worship is grounded in who I am.

After all, we cannot be someone we are not, especially in front of Allah. 

Comments

  1. this is a good and useful information about prayer rug. you have explain it nicely. thanks for sharing.
    Islamic Prayer Clothing

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage...Interrupted, Part I: The Separation

FGM, Islam and Sexuality: One of these doesn't belong

On Muslims, Relationships and Abstinence