The Anatomy of My Blog

This is not my typical blog entry, but it needs to be written.

A friend recently pointed out that not many people tend to comment on or "Like" my blog post. This is a trend I've noticed and while I have some theories, I don't have all the answers. I've been blogging for a few years now and occasionally receive online feedback that someone really resonated with a post or "hey, you have a good sense of humour." Which is OK, but too general. Besides, I try to blog about topics (and in such a way) that pushes typical boundaries and gives other perspectives that may not be considered. And it's hard to know the impact you're making or how it's taken if there's pretty much no feedback given.

For those who are interested in seeing how much traffic my blog receives, the following are recent statistics:

Pageviews today
30
Pageviews yesterday
59
Pageviews last month
2,126
Pageviews all time history
24,939



On average, I get around 50-60 visitors each day and over 2,000 visitors each month. In my opinion, that's a lot (Alhamdulillah!). Discounting a chunk of visitors who may stumble across my blog via Google (due to my labels matching their search terms, but not what they're looking for), I am sure that the majority are actually wanting to read the entries. Yet I rarely get ANY comments on the entries and maybe 1 "Like" via Facebook every few posts. In fact, the same friends (those who are not afraid of speaking their minds, I've noticed) are the ones who will provide feedback. Yet when I see friends face to face, I get feedback about posts resonating with them or how it provoked them to think at a different level. And hey, there are readers who disagree with what I'm writing about, and that's GOOD! It shows that I'm pushing buttons and challenging norms, two things I enjoy doing in the Muslim arena.

This lack of response trend is something I notice with other blog writers too. They rarely get any feedback on the subject matter and maybe a "Like" here and there. These women are also known for writing entries that go beyond the typical marriage, hijab, and purely religious topics that most Muslims are known for writing about. They are excellent writers and make you think, yet from appearances, it seems as though no one is agreeing or disagreeing with them due to lack of feedback on their entries.


Now while I don't write blogs to get attention from readers, I do write them in order to provoke thought and discussion. It's funny that people often post something when they disagree with what I'm saying but nothing when they agree. One person recently commented on one of my posts about the hijab, but it was cut and pasted from something this person re-posted from a scholar earlier in the day on Facebook (yup, I know who they are even though they used a fake name!). I mean, really, we can't use our own words? I don't want the Control-X type of comments calling me wrong and telling me that what I'm saying is haram. Yikes people, a blog isn't factual, it's opinion based with the odd smattering of facts that vary in terms of their source. I do try to keep my sources trustworthy by using qualified scholars/researchers or going directly to the Quran.

So while I am not sure about the reasons why people don't comment, I think part of it is due to apathy...we have access to so much information in the course of a day, perhaps my blog is a blur and not worth commenting on. Maybe people are too busy commenting on people's pictures or funny status updates to comment on a blog. Perhaps it's because people don't agree with what I'm saying...but I find it hard to believe that EVERYONE who reads my blog feels this way. Maybe people don't want to come clean about how they support (or don't support) what I'm saying because it makes them feel uncomfortable that others can see how they feel about what I'm saying. But this isn't a good enough reason, I think, anyway. We are all entitled to opinions and it's good if people disagree with you. Life would be too boring if we all agreed.

But please don't take this entry as a guilt trip so that you do take time to comment and "Like" my posts. This is not why I'm writing this entry (and yes, I'll get suspicious if all of a sudden I get people commenting when they never did before). I don't want the "good entry" type of comments or "yeah, I agree" or a "Like" just for the sake of it. Let's dig deeper people and try to reflect on what you read online! At the end of the day, I don't write to gain popularity or attention, I write for myself. It gives me mental clarity and a voice for topics that aren't often spoken about. And if anything, I hope this post gives you something to think about with regards to your online presence and how you treat information on the internet. 

And Allah knows best.

Comments

  1. Sadly I can relate. I have posts on my FB that friends tell me by chance they really liked and my response gee couldn't ya indicated such via FB proper? Furthermore with my comic strip I can have friends that ask me, "have ya done more of your comic strip?" and I remind them I do have a dA and FB page I submit the comic to that they can follow my comic via but yeah deaf ears. Anyhow more of a fellow rant with this comment. Also sadly I have to leave your Finding Your Passion post for later as I work tomorrow morning but I am looking forward to it ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage...Interrupted, Part I: The Separation

FGM, Islam and Sexuality: One of these doesn't belong

On Muslims, Relationships and Abstinence