The Islamic YouTube Bombardment

Every day, it seems as though my News Feed mostly consists of religious lectures from YouTube. Some telling me what's haram, how my Emaan is too low, and others preaching to Muslims the importance of not falling into Biddaa (i.e. innovation of practices within Islam) traps.

Am I the only one who finds this Islamic YouTube bombardment somewhat overwhelming?

Perhaps it's because while I am on a quest to improve my Islamic knowledge, I personally think that haphazardly watching suggested videos is not the way to go. It's not structured enough for me, nor is it goal oriented for me. I prefer to prioritize the areas I'd like to improve in and start from there, since it's overwhelming to watch videos on numerous topics.

And honestly, once you dive into these videos, there's no end. One video leads to another which leads to another...which leaves you wanting more. But they don't do much with helping you put your knowledge into action in the real world. 

There's something else that scares me. In the world of therapy and clinical practice, the term "evidence based practice" is all abuzz. It refers to therapists and practitioners researching evidence about therapeutic practice, using various methods to determine its efficacy and outcomes, and then using this information within their practice. There are good practices out there by solid researchers and experts in various fields, and then there's substandard knowledge by people who claim to be experts but really have cut and paste their information to look scholarly. I call these people E-mams (Electronic Imams).

The same analysis should apply to these Islamic YouTube videos. Who are these people claiming to be scholars? Do they have the education and knowledge behind their name? What message are they sending and is this something I should interpret literally or should I be cautious in what I extract from it?

I also have to laugh at all the anti-Islam comments posted after these videos. Really people, do you have that much time on your hands? And the same applies to those Muslims who feel the need to defend our religion. Why waste your time? No matter what you say, an opposing comment will be thrown in your face. It's outright ridiculous.

The Internet is an amazing source of information, but YouTube has seemingly become the Wikipedia and more of Islamic information. Yet there are additional sources of information that should be accessed  as well. For example, online courses taught by qualified scholars, such as Seekers Guidance. In person courses taught in your city are another source, or books for crying out loud, whatever happened to flipping pages instead of clicking "next"?

And at some point, when our brains are saturated with more information than we know what to do with, we need to stop and do something with that information. I see far too many Muslims content on getting all the information they want only to focus on self-improvement and self-Emaan boosting. Once your cup has been filled, it's time to share with those around you. Put your knowledge into action people!! And if you're not sure where to begin, there are a plethora of organizations and initiatives looking for people who are willing to put in some elbow grease.

The internet may seem to be alive with everything that's crawling around on it, but at the end of the day it's as dead as those brain cells in your prefrontal cortex that should be used but aren't because you're not out there giving back to the community.

Turn off your computer, roll up your sleeves, and get out there! :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Marriage...Interrupted, Part I: The Separation

FGM, Islam and Sexuality: One of these doesn't belong

On Muslims, Relationships and Abstinence